The aims of this competition are to:
- Decarbonise gas and electric energy distribution and transmission networks and benefit the consumer
- Develop the technologies, infrastructure, and processes required to support and accelerate at-scale up take of zero emission transport options
- Maximise opportunities to integrate zero emission transport energy provision with the wider energy sector, for example for constraint management or maximising use of renewables
- Coordinate strategic energy networks decisions with the transport sector, to ensure delivery of an efficient energy system which also meets the needs of transport users
- Provide greater certainty on the options, costs, and timelines for energy network infrastructure availability which supports zero emission transportation
Your project must address the overarching requirements of the Strategic Innovation Fund (SIF), as stipulated in the SIF Governance Document.
Over the three phases, applicants must demonstrate that projects deliver a net benefit to network consumers through:
- Energy bill cost reductions
- Carbon emission reduction
- Access to revenues for users of energy network services; or introducing products, process and services that are new to the UK energy market
Your proposal must:
- Focus on network innovation that can be deployed or applied to benefit GB energy networks’ infrastructure, network consumers, operation, and utilisation
Your project must address:
- Users and their context
- Constraints affecting the problem or wider context
- Opportunities for improvement
- Environmental impacts
You should consider all the points listed here, but as a minimum you must directly address at least one as the primary focus of the proposed project:
- How the project will directly support the growth of zero emission transport options
- How to maximise the opportunities that electric vehicles create to deliver a smarter energy system, while ensuring that energy networks are prepared for accelerating uptake
- How energy networks can support integrated multi-model transport services in local areas
- Energy supply requirements for long haul aviation, shipping, or rail
At this stage a project direction will be issued for the Discovery phase only. You must define your goals and outline your plan for the Alpha phase. Only successful applicants from Discovery phase will be invited to apply for Alpha phase.
The Alpha phase of a project will focus on preparing and testing the different solutions to the problem identified during the Discovery phase ahead of any future large-scale demonstration of the project. It will also include testing of the riskiest assumptions.
Your project must:
- Start by 1 March 2022
- End by 30 April 2022
- Last two months
To lead a project, you must:
- Be a licensed: gas distribution network, transmission network operator, or electricity system operator
- Work with a mobility technology or infrastructure provider, for example electric vehicle charge point providers, port authorities or network rail
- Work with at least one other organisation as your subcontractor
Subcontractors can include a variety of third-party innovators such as:
- Independent researchers
- Other energy network companies
This list is not intended to be exhaustive.
For more information on company sizes, please refer to the company accounts guidance.
Project direction will be awarded to a single legal entity only.
This work will still be the responsibility of the lead applicant.
Innovate UK are looking for proposals that involve all the necessary stakeholders relevant to the proposed innovation, from a zero emissions transport perspective.
Cresco Innovation works with companies to develop and implement innovation strategies. We help client companies identify opportunities to develop new products and services, and then create a package of support to ensure that the idea is turned into a commercial reality.
Our services include securing grants (as a team we have raised around £40million over three years), business planning, IP advice, access to finance and funders, project management and IP commercialisation support.
We regularly act as the interface with the funding bodies and help clients ensure that their projects are properly managed to ensure the best outcome for all.