Harry has been with Cresco since early 2020 and quickly made an impression within the company.
Having graduated in history from the University of Lincoln, Harry joined Cresco as a proposal writer, which sees him working alongside colleagues to assist clients in developing their funding applications. Already, he has worked on several different funding types, including Innovate UK, Horizon 2020 and the National Institute for Health & Research (NIHR).
Now, Harry is an integral part of Cresco’s Health Team, which is specifically dedicated to helping medically-focused projects receive funding and become implemented in the NHS.
The skills Harry developed during his university degree made him ideally placed to pursue a career as a bid writer, a role that also provides him with an “excellent opportunity to learn about a wide variety of topics”.
And he is still eager to learn. “Working at Cresco, there is something new every day that I learn, and someone in the team will always be able to help,” he says.
The opportunity to work daily on a variety of projects is also a huge source of motivation for Harry, who adds: “The research process that comes alongside working on a project allows you to learn things you wouldn’t have otherwise thought of. There are no two projects that are similar, so every day you could be working on a different, interesting topic.”
The future is very much bright for Harry, who feels right at home at Cresco.
“We have quite a small, but close-knit team here,” he says. “Everyone gets the chance to work with each other and the whole team is extremely supportive of one another. Often in companies you don’t get to know some of the other people you work with, but that isn’t the case at Cresco.”
What you may not know about Harry
- Away from his day-to-day life as a proposal writer, Harry is a passionate cricketer and has played at both district and county level for Derbyshire. He is also a keen reader, with a particular interest in American history that was sparked during his university degree. He enjoys reading works by authors such as Doris Kearns Goodwin and Ron Chernow
- Harry is planning to learn how to sign – “It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years, so it’s something I will hopefully do soon”
- Two of Harry’s biggest inspirations, out of work, are American baseball pro Marcus Stroman and US politician Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Harry says: “They are both 100% themselves and incredibly passionate for what they believe in, and they stand up for people who are often marginalised, which is something I greatly admire”.
- Harry is a keen fan of podcasts and enjoys listening to, among others, the Joe Rogan Experience, Pod Save America, the Basement Yard, and Other People’s Lives
- If he could offer his 15-year-old self just one bit of advice, Harry would say: “Don’t worry about getting everything perfect on the first go – it’s okay to not know what to do and make mistakes. And, most important, be yourself and don’t worry about whatever anyone else thinks”