Innovate UK have allocated up to £40million to fund projects across two competition strands:
- IETF industrial energy efficiency and decarbonisation studies, Spring 2021 (this strand)
- IETF deployment of energy efficiency technologies, Spring 2021
The majority of the funding will be allocated in the deployment strand.
Grant funding thresholds
The total eligible project costs for a feasibility study application must be at least £30,000. The maximum grant that can be awarded for a feasibility study is £7million.
The total eligible project costs for an engineering study application must be at least £50,000. The maximum grant that can be awarded for a feasibility study is £14million
You should consider whether your application falls within these thresholds by estimating how much of the total project cost you can claim based on the rules outlined in the Funding section of this competition.
Innovate UK will assess your application in terms of its value for money You must only apply for the minimum amount of grant to enable the project to go ahead.
This competition provides grant funding towards the cost of the project. Industry must also contribute funding. It is your responsibility to make sure your organisation is eligible to receive government support. You must not claim funding from any other source for the same set of eligible costs. This would constitute duplicate funding.
Each project partner can claim for their share of the project costs. The maximum grant value that each partner can claim is determined by the rules below. If your organisation’s work on the project is mostly commercial or economic, your funding request must not exceed the limits below. These limits apply even if your organisation normally acts non-economically.
Please refer to the Supplementary Grant Award Guidance.
Any research organisations in your project team undertaking non-economic activity as part of the study can share up to 30% of the total eligible costs. If your project team contains more than one research organisation undertaking non-economic activity, this maximum is shared between them.
The maximum grant funding amount an organisation can receive is £7million for each project it is involved with.
For feasibility studies you could receive funding for your eligible costs of:
- Up to 70% if you are a micro or small organisation
- Up to 60% if you are a medium-sized organisation
- Up to 50% if you are a large organisation
The maximum grant funding amount an organisation can receive is £14million for each project it is involved with.
For engineering studies you could receive funding for your eligible costs of:
- Up to 45% if you are a micro or small organisation
- Up to 35% if you are a medium-sized organisation
- Up to 25% if you are a large organisation
If your engineering study project qualifies as an ‘effective collaboration’ or widely disseminates knowledge, you could receive funding for your eligible costs of:
- Up to 60% if you are a micro or small organisation
- Up to 50% if you are a medium-sized organisation
- Up to 40% if you are a large organisation
For further information please see the Supplementary Grant Award Guidance.
For organisations based in the England and Wales you must refer to the Company accounts guidance for definitions of different organisation sizes.
For projects based in Northern Ireland, please read the definitions of different organisation sizes.
Effective collaboration and wide dissemination
Innovate UK are expecting collaborative efforts on engineering studies. ‘Effective collaboration’ means collaboration between at least two independent parties. The goal must be either:
- To exchange knowledge or technology
- To achieve a common objective based on the division of labour where the parties jointly define the scope of the collaborative project, contribute to its implementation and share its risks, as well as its results
Contract research and provision of research services are not considered forms of collaboration.
For effective collaboration to apply between businesses no one business partner can take more than 70% of the total eligible project costs. For collaborations between businesses and research organisations, the research organisation must bear at least 10% of the total eligible project costs and have the right to publish its own research.
Through this strand of the competition, Innovate UK are not funding:
- Option analysis or trade studies
- Repair and maintenance projects that would be undertaken in the normal course of business
- Plant closure projects
- New build plant or expansions
Energy efficiency measures cannot include:
- Energy efficiency measures that are not integral to the industrial process, including:
– building lighting
– space heating and cooling for buildings where not integral to the industrial procession or off-site transport
- Electricity generation, including the installation of new renewable projects like solar panels or wind turbines
- Combined Heat and Power without fuel switching
Decarbonisation measures cannot include:
- Off-site work related to the wider enabling infrastructures necessary for:
– Transportation and long term CO2 storage solutions
– Supply of hydrogen to the site
- Direct air capture technologies
- Switches to fuels more carbon intensive than the gas grid, including fuels that possess equal carbon intensity to grid gas but incur additional emissions during transportation from source to industrial site where the fuel is being used. Note specific restrictions on biomass in the Technological Scope for Decarbonisation Studies guidance
Cresco Innovation works with companies to develop and implement innovation strategies. We help client companies identify opportunities to develop new products and services, and then create a package of support to ensure that the idea is turned into a commercial reality.
Our services include securing grants (as a team we have raised around £40million over three years), business planning, IP advice, access to finance and funders, project management and IP commercialisation support.
We regularly act as the interface with the funding bodies and help clients ensure that their projects are properly managed to ensure the best outcome for all.